Episode 9 - Bulletproof Coffee




Episode 9 - Bulletproof Coffee! Ghee, MCT Oil, and coffee, all blended together. I bought French Kick beans and MCT oil right from Bulletproof. The ghee I got at Natural Grocers. We try a few different mixtures in the video.

Here's the recipes:

 The first one came right from the Bulletproof Blog:
  • 2.5 Heaping Tablespoons ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans
  • 2 (partial)  teaspoons of Brain Octane Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons grass-fed ghee
This was too much. We didn't like the buttery taste, and the MCT oil made me (Leuke) sick later. We added cinnamon and turmeric with great results, which improved the flavor dramatically. The Bulletproof website actually has a range on the amount of oil and butter you should use, and I definitely erred towards the higher end this first time out.

On the plus side, we did make it awhile without getting hungry. :D

The second time we modified based on experience and a friend's recommendation:
  • 3 heaping tablespoons ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans
  • 1 teaspoon Brain Octane Oil
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of grass-fed ghee
Big improvement. It actually tasted like coffee this time, and the cinnamon and turmeric made it even better. I still got a wee bit sick, but it wasn't as bad. Definitely go easy on the MCT oil starting out!

We tried it a third time later (not for an episode), and I got sick again. I also got hungry pretty fast, prompting me to give up on the Bulletproof style of making coffee. I don't like the butter, the oil doesn't agree with me even going pretty light, and I'm not seeing much benefit. That's not to discount the experience of others, including our own Chad, who enjoys it more than I do, and didn't seem to be as sensitive to the MCT oil.

Have you given Bulletproof Coffee, or the Bulletproof method a try? Let us know about your experiences in the comments. If you're curious about how their beans hold up without the ghee and MCT oil, we'll be trying them out black in next week's episode!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 44 - Madrina's Iced Coffee and Escargo Day

Episode 15 -Black Tea Coffee

Organic Pumpkin Pie Coffee and Evaluate Your Life Day! (Episode 61)