Episode 18 - Moroccan Sesame Seed Coffee



Episode 18! This coffee, called café des épices, allegedly hails from Morocco. I say allegedly because the background for this recipe is a bit of a mystery. We usually decide our schedule several weeks in advance, and when it came time to research this one, I couldn't find any solid data on its history, or even how much of each ingredient to use.

Recipe:
  • Coffee (of course)
  • Sesame Seeds
  • Black Pepper
  • Nutmeg
Grind everything together. If your coffee is already ground, just grind up the seeds and mix everything together. 

So... this one was a big experiment. I was generous with the sesame seeds and pretty light with the pepper and nutmeg. If I did it over again I'd use a little more of all three.

You may have noticed I'm often vague when I give out these recipes. There are two reasons for this. One is its usually early in the morning when I'm making these coffees, and I typically just wing it anyway. The other is to encourage experimentation, and make sure you make a coffee you'll enjoy.

Leuke's Thoughts: 

 


An enjoyable coffee blend. When I grind everything up, I often wind up with enough for several cups. Sometimes (like with the sugary coffees) it's a grind to get through all the coffee I've made, but this one I didn't mind revisiting, and I enjoyed it every time. I would try this one again, as I said above with more of everything to give it a stronger flavor.

Chad's Thoughts:

 

It was too earthy. Maybe too many ingredients in there for me.

Trivia:

What’s 4,000 years old and tastes great in a cup of coffee? Sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are one of the oldest crops in the world, dating all the way back to Ancient Egypt and Babylon. Sesame has been called a survivor’s crop. Due to its hardy nature, it can grow in a lot of places other crops can’t.

Check back next week for another mysterious Moroccan coffee recipe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 44 - Madrina's Iced Coffee and Escargo Day

Episode 15 -Black Tea Coffee

Organic Pumpkin Pie Coffee and Evaluate Your Life Day! (Episode 61)